Warm, humid days are great for gardens and hiding in the house to do art

It's been very warm these last few days. We ventured out on Sunday to a flea market and did find 1 treasure for the youngest Gottshall (tinker toys) but once we got home we all had mild heat stroke with headaches and feeling sick. My youngest also got heat rash on his face. Poor guy! Thankfully, we had lower temps and waited until it was much cooler before going out. I was pleased with my garden...I've got kale growing everywhere and radishes. I'm waiting for the squash to really take off. For some reason, the pumpkin seeds are the most vivacious and I literally just threw a handful of dirt on them...they were from a pumpkin that dissolved in the garden last winter. I guess it composted for them? Anyway, we shall see what happens. At least, I'll have a lot of pumpkin blossoms to make stuffed blossoms with bread and cheese. yum! I'm so happy with my kale harvest and I hope the plant keeps growing. I guess we shall see. I do wish I had planted corn, but oh, well. I'd like to get a sage plant as well. I found out that this is good for smudging your home...which I intend on doing. Apparently, it really works well to kill germs. So, this is a nice plus. Some of my garden is experimental. I did not till the ground but put newspaper on the ground and then added some soil/compost on top. It seems to be doing well for some plants but I can't tell if it's the weather that's the problem...I think the squash would be much better off if we didn't have so much rain and 60 degrees a few weeks ago. It makes a difference. Otherwise, I'm very happy with how things are growing. Also, my greenhouse is doing excellent. The kale is doing best there and the tomatoes...are huge plants. I'm seriously impressed by this. I'm hoping to have some red beauties before long. You do have to water it but it's worth the extra effort for protection from the elements. Just have to leave open the door/window on the hot days. I wish I had planted squash in there but I know it would take over. I may transplant some to the old garden patch with is overrun with mint,grass and "weeds". I was hoping I missed a squash plant and would find one in there. I also ran out of cucumber seeds. They are giving me the most trouble. They got some sort of mold on them from the ran and haven't done well. So, I'll have to get at least 1-2 more plants from a greenhouse. We had kale and turnips in our salad from the garden. Fresh greens from turnips are totally edible. I didn't know this and it was a nice combination with lime and cilantro salad dressing. Highly recommend growing your own turnips. Very easy to do and fast yield. Give it a try! And of course, I forgot to take a photo. I hate that. I think we had about 10-15 mini storms from yesterday to today. I'm sort of getting used to it...just really gets on your nerves being stuck in the house or vulnerable to weather. I did do a lot of sewing and have finally finished my St. Francis mixed media art quilt. I really love it and will be putting it up on eBay soon. I redid some of it and added some animals. photos soon. Well, hopefully tomorrow will be a nice day and I can get a few things done outside again. Summer is always chaotic but it's a lovely sort of chaotic with kids and pets and growing things. <3

Comments

Popular Posts